Here are ten important questions to ask your DJ before you hire them:
1. Will you provide a written contract to review BEFORE I hire you?…. Many DJ contracts protect only the company and do little to protect the client. Read the fine print. A fair contract should equally protect the client and the company. At your initial consultation, make sure you receive a written contract that you can take home so you can review pricing, packages, and services before hiring the company or sending any money.
2. Do you have a PROFESSIONAL microphone style?…. Make sure your DJ / MC matches the style you want at your wedding. Some DJs are very talkative, some say little at all, while others are somewhere in between. There is a fine line between cheesy and classy. Whoever you hire as your wedding DJ will also be the spokesperson and Master Of Ceremonies (MC) for the most important day of your lives, so choose wisely. When interviewing your DJ, ask him / her to give you an example of how they will introduce your First Dance. Are they using the “Cheesy DJ Voice”, or are they talking naturally?
3. Can I see a copy of your LIABILITY insurance?…. The mobile DJ industry is completely unregulated. There is currently no licensing, certification, or standards. Though it is not a requirement to have this document, finding someone who does shows that the company at least takes their business seriously. More importantly, many wedding venues are now requiring DJs to provide proof of liability insurance before they can set up. A state or city issued business license is also a good indicator of professionalism.
4. Will you attend my ceremony REHEARSAL?…. If your DJ will be providing ceremony services, it is important that he / she attend the rehearsal to review all ceremony details. These include rehearsing processionals and recessionals, and reviewing details with the officiant. In addition, on wedding day make sure your DJ will use a separate sound system at the ceremony site to avoid a lengthy equipment transfer to the reception site. Two sound systems should be used – one for ceremony, one for reception.
5. Do you have a BACKUP plan?… Simply put, emergency backup sound equipment is a must, and it should be available, and not back at the office.
6. Do you do this FULL-TIME?… Only 15% of all wedding DJs do this as a full-time career. This may not be a deal-killer for most couples, but remember, DJs who have a full-time commitment to their wedding couples tend to invest more time in the planning process, and also generally return calls, texts, and e-mails more promptly.
7. Will you send everyone a TIMELINE before the wedding?…. The number one mistake couples make when hiring a DJ for their wedding is…they just hire a DJ. If you want your wedding reception to flow smoothly, then it is imperative to find a DJ that does more than just play music and make some announcements. Make sure they are able to “run the reception” and are willing to e-mail an agenda to your Wedding Party, Parents, and your Wedding Team so everyone knows what to expect on wedding day.
8. What PERSONALIZED options do you offer?… During your initial consultation, your DJ should have shared with you with some fun, unique options that will separate your wedding reception from all the others your guests will have attended. These may include fun Wedding Party introductions, dinner activities, and unique alternatives to the typical formalities.
9. Can I get in WRITING who my DJ will be?… If it is important to you that the DJ you met at your initial consultation is the same one that shows up on wedding day, ask for that DJ’s name to be on the contract. To make up for their low prices, some DJ companies have been known to substitute DJs at the last minute, or even double-book dates.
10. Do you have a written money-back GUARANTEE?… Some sort of written guarantee should be in place in case you are not satisfied with services rendered on wedding day, preferably on the contract. This goes for not only your DJ, but for all the vendors you hire.
Ron’s Money Back Guarantee…My answer to all of the above questions is YES. If you find another DJ that can also answer YES to all ten, and has provided you with the guarantees and contract to back it up, I will match their price!